Wednesday, December 21, 2016

In Shock!

I am sitting here in disbelief!!!

Before we left Oregon I had my A1C down to 7.7
not great but not bad.

Some of you are probably asking 

What is A1C?
In layman's term it is the average of my blood sugars
for the past three months.

So today I got the results from  last week's A1C test

10.0!!!

Yes, 10.0 ~ I could not believe it. 

It has not been this high in years,
in fact, in 1995 when I was diagnosed it was a 12.6!!!

This explains why I am so dang tired all the time!!!

I really thought it would be about 8.0 to 8.5
but 
10.0!!!

I know that part of the problem is 
what meals are served here at The Ranch ~

Lunch today consisted of a Patty Melt on Texas toast, 
deep fried pickles, breaded cheddar cheese bites and jalapeno poppers.

I had the Patty Melt, one jalapeno popper, 
one cheddar cheese bite and two fried pickles.

Dinner wasn't much better ~ it was chicken pot pie (I ate the chicken insides, 
no crust), wild rice (I didn't have any) and a piece of chocolate cream pie
and yes I ate that.

Most of the meals cooked here at the ranch are fried,
deep fried and include French fries, fried chicken,
corn in all forms, chicken fried steak w/gravy,
pancakes, lots of bread/biscuits,  bacon, sausage, 
gravy ~ you get the picture

Not healthy choices
but great for teenage boys!!

I am supposed to be working on reports
for the day
and yet I sit here
wondering what the heck am I supposed to do.

My weight is down from when we left 
Oregon so that is a good thing.

But an A1C of 10.0
is NOT okay.

Would appreciate prayers
as Ron and I come up with an 
healthy eating plan
and 
quickly!!!

The week we are on duty we are expected
to eat family style with the boys ~
in the dining hall
the food that is prepared.

I have got to come up with some alternative
meals that are easy and quick to fix
(I don't have time to be in the apartment
once our day has begun)
and that can travel easily.

I am in shock 
and just shaking my head.  

3 comments:

  1. Ali, on your 'off' days, make big pots of veggie soup with lots of veggies, usING chicken stock. Take it to your family style dinners, share and enjoy. It will help with your appetite and the boys might even like it. Also, get some lean cuisine or smart one meals, have them at your dinner, explain to the boys this is you being responsible for your health. Should not be a problem as long as you're still at the family style table. You will have to forgo all the fried stuff, but you need to get that A1C down! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my A1c is going to be bad. I see my Dr in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I well understand. Hubby, from Louisiana, ate only fried fish and other fried foods when we met. Veggies were only beans. And LOTS of rice. He never had cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, etc. Seldom a salad. Now, 28 years later, when he eats fried food he can feel the difference and doesn't like it. It's got to be tough for you with all this unhealthy food being served. My body tells me when I eat too much bad food. Your body is telling you in strong terms.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my blog so comment away. Note I do have Comment Moderation on so that spam and inappropriate comments will not be allowed.

Blog Address Change!!!!

Well I took the plunge and moved my blog over to WordPress! Below is the link to my blog. All of the blog posts I have written sinc...