Thursday, January 21, 2016

Continuing our Journey of Life


Wow, can't believe it has been almost four months since I have written ~ where does time go and how does something that is so important to me get pushed aside over and over again.  I wish I had the answer...what I do know is that sometimes my priorities get all mixed up.  

And yet God is faithful and leads me back to where I need to be.  It has been a busy, crazy, fun, scary and four months but I believe I am getting back to where the Lord wants me to be.

The below devotion, from Guideposts, is from today ~ how timely for me ~ just another reminder God is Good all the time!  All the time God is Good!!!


“The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me? ”
Hebrews 13:6 (NKJV)
I awake with a pounding heart and a sense of dread. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon. “Lord, help me face this day,” I pray.  Maybe some doughnuts from the bakery will cheer me, but when I twist the ignition key, the car won't start. Oh, great. Just what I need. Something else to worry about!

I do my own repairs, so I am soon up to my elbows in tools and test instruments. I feel like Sherlock Holmes probing for that one elusive clue that will unravel this mystery. I enjoy removing parts, discovering the engine's deepest secrets. It feels masculine tugging hard on wrenches, stretching my arm muscles. I twist and bend, looking for concealed bolt heads. Soon I am breathing hard, but it's stimulating, refreshing.  Then comes that eureka moment: It's the coolant temperature sensor! A cheap, easy fix! An hour later I turn the key and the engine fires to life. I feel a huge sense of conquest, man over machine. I am John Henry, the steel-driving man!

I am grinning from ear to ear when my wife opens the kitchen door. “It's time for lunch. And don't forget, you have a doctor's appointment.” I did forget! So absorbed was I in my work that there was no room for anxiety.
The appointment went all right, and on the way home I gave myself a lecture. “Next time you are facing a threat, find something to occupy your mind. If not car repair, then gardening or helping Sharon clean house.”
It's easier to carry two suitcases than one because the load is better balanced and sometimes one problem balances out another.

Digging Deeper:  Deuteronomy 20:1, 2 Kings 6:16

We have just completed our 90 days here at Astor House in Newberg, OR.  We are finally settled into our one-bedroom apartment and all the storage totes are unloaded and we are no longer tripping over them.  We are enjoying our job here at Astor House, still learning lots of new things but also finding out the best way to work with our team.  Being a supervisor again has had some issues ~ learning how to communicate as a team so that the outcome is what we need it to bed.

Have had a few stressful days ~ but with much prayer from friends and God's mercy and grace the days are moving along smoothly.

One of the gifts I received at Christmas was a Fitbit Charge HR - I am loving being able to track my steps - goal is 10,000, have hit 8,000 once but consistently getting in between 6000 to 7000 - so the goal is not too far away.  As of 1/18 I had lost 7.8 lbs since 12/31 - so that is a good thing.  I am implenting new and healthy foods, activities and thoughts into my daily plan...I am now drinking at least 64 oz of water a day ~ those who know me that is a new record - give me a pop anyday.  I have cut them way out...having one maybe once every three or four days.  I am only ordering water if we go out to eat, and when the four pops that are left in the fridge are gone I won't be buying anymore.  And I am okay with that decision.

I am also making sure to eat breakfast every morning...something I used to not do at all unless we were traveling or going out for breakfast.  I usually have oatmeal and switch it up once in awhile with cottage cheese and fruit or an egg and some ham or bacon.  

I know these don't sound like much but every little new step will lead to bigger steps along the way.

I am also back into having my Daily Quiet time with the Lord.  Oh how I have missed it and am glad that the Lord has been nudging me to get back into His Word.  Right now I am doing a devotional called "Grace Warrior" by Melissa Kirk.  Can you see the theme...GRACE - God is showing me His grace and mercy and how I can use Grace & Mercy in my daily life.  FYI Melissa did not pay me anything to share this - it really is a study that I am enjoying.  If you want, check it out, if not, that's okay too :)

We are enjoying being closer to our friends and family.  We see Brandon, Danalyn and the boys about once a month, sometimes twice depending on what's going on with them and us.  We try to get to Blaine/Ferndale at least once every couple of months to see Jamie, Suzanne and our precious granddaughter as well as our many friends.  And as usual we are loving being able to go for rides and check out the area where we now making our home.  Last weekend we found a great little dairy that sells cheese, a sweet winery and some nice parks that we can't wait to visit more often when the weather warms up.  Ron has been able to go to a Trailblazers game with Brandon and is planning another one soon.  

In closing I would like to ask for special prayer for our Aunt Erma and Uncle Rex.  Aunt Erma is dealing with Stage 4 cancer and needs our powerful prayers to lift up her needs: to not be in pain and for peace in however God chooses to handle this.  Uncle Rex is still having breathing issues ~ we are thankful his son/daughter are able to be nearby to help them out.

Love you all and I will be back soon.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think about my blog so comment away. Note I do have Comment Moderation on so that spam and inappropriate comments will not be allowed.

Blog Address Change!!!!

Well I took the plunge and moved my blog over to WordPress! Below is the link to my blog. All of the blog posts I have written sinc...