Friday, December 5, 2008

Thoughts about the Advent and Christmas Season.

I have been busy working at the church today. It is such a busy time of the year.

So much is happening in the next few weeks with our church family and our community. Tomorrow we are decorating the church in the morning, someone is renting the church for the afternoon for a wedding and then we have services on Sunday. Sunday is the 2nd Sunday of Advent. The sermon is titled "Make Every Effort."
The focal passage is one of the liturgical scriptures for this Sunday found in the third chapter of Second Peter, verses 8-15. In our time of preparing to celebrate the first coming of Christ, we should also look forward to the second. Peter calls for us to make every effort to live now in view of his return. And with the lighting of the Advent Wreath it makes for a special service.

And then in two weeks we have the busiest weekend of all:

The Living Nativity is on Friday, 12/19 from 6 - 8 p.m. We are having children of the congregation representing Mary & Joseph, plus the animals, the reading of the Christmas story, along with the music team leading Christmas carols, the bonfire and the hayride with caroling. It is a time for the community come and share in the Christmas story, listen to wonderful Christmas carols, eating lots of homemade goodies and just having a wonderful evening with family and friends. A busy night yet loads of fun. If your in the area we would love to have you come and be a part of this wonderful night.

On December 20th Ron and I celebrate our 33rd wedding anniversary! As of right now I don't think we have any plans - we may need the day to rest between the Living Nativity and services on Sunday. I am thinking it might be fun to just spend the day together, maybe going for a walk along the beach and thinking about the many adventures we have had together over all those years. There's so many that to tell about them now would make this blog probably the longest one in history. I will save the romp down memory lane for another blog.

The children are busy getting ready for their program which will be on the 21st. It is always such a wonderful treat to have them sing and recite scripture and be with family and friends. And of course, the wonderful potluck and fellowship following the service is always a delight.


On the evening of the 21st Ron and I will be going to our friends, Jerry & Lynda's for their annual Christmas gathering. It is a wonderful time to visit and be with friends, catching up with those that we only get to see once or twice a year and just having a relaxing evening among all the other activities.

We are also once again getting ready for the annual Christmas Dinner Boxes - this will be the third year that we will be putting the boxes together and distributing them. It is a fun time with carols playing in the background, lots of people packing the boxes and knowing that many families will have a wonderfully delicious holiday dinner.
We will be putting the boxes together and handing them out on 12/22 & 23. I believe we are doing 200 boxes for families in our community. If you would like to help, give me a call or drop me an email and I can fill you in on the specifics.

We end all the hustle and bustle with the Christmas Eve Communion Service. That is one of my most favorite events of the whole season. I love the intimacy of the group and the ambiance in the sanctuary with the lights from the Christmas tree and around the windows, the candles on the altar and in the foyer. Sitting with friends and recollecting the Christmas story, sharing of scripture, singing of Christmas carols and celebrating communion together.

As I have been writing I have been getting more and more excited about the next few weeks. I know it is a busy time yet keeping the focus on the meaning of Christmas and thinking about being with family and friends in many different venues is exciting.

Well, Ron has gone off to bed after a busy day with two plumbing jobs and then joining a group of men from our church putting the finishing touches on the molding in the foyer and the hallway. I think I will follow him as tomorrow is another busy day. I will be at the church for the advent decorating, finishing up the bulletin, the handouts and I am sure a couple of other things. In the evening the Blaine boys basketball team has a game against Ferndale and since I keep the book that is where you will find us. Wishing you all a good week and a wonderful time during this Advent Season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think about my blog so comment away. Note I do have Comment Moderation on so that spam and inappropriate comments will not be allowed.

Blog Address Change!!!!

Well I took the plunge and moved my blog over to WordPress! Below is the link to my blog. All of the blog posts I have written sinc...