Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So you do your kid a favor!

So I am driving to work this morning when my cell phone rings. It is Jamie, the conversation goes like this:

Jamie (J) - what are you doing today Mom?

Alice (A) - I am heading to work at Northwood, why?

J - because Suzanne's car is in the shop and Opal has a doctor's appointment that we need to go to Bellingham and my little sports car can't take all three of us.

A - well, do you want to use the suburban? You can bring me your car at the church and we will just trade vehicles so you can go to the appointment.

J - OK, see you in a few minutes.

I go to work at Northwood. A little while later Jamie arrives. We trade keys, I ask "are there any tricks with your car?"

J - none that I know of. Oh yeah, you need to use the remote to unlock/lock the door.

A - OK, good luck at the appointment. I will meet you back at the C Shop.

J - OK, love ya

A - love you too!

So I get back to the stuff that needs to be finished at Northwood. Walk out to Jamie's little Honda Del Sol (remember I drive a huge Chevy Suburban) and try to get in. First I hit my head on the inside roof of the car then fall promptly into the seat of the car - feels like it is only 5" from the ground! Can't get the thing in reverse, luckily the car parked in front of me left the parking lot. I drive all of maybe a mile from the church to the post office. Turn left on Harrison, come to a stop because a car is backing up and BANG! a different car backing up hits Jamie's car. I pull forward into a parking spot and this young mom gets out of the car ready to break into tears. She screams "are you OK?" I reassure her, tell her no need to cry, asking if she has insurance - yes she does. We exchange information and all I can think about is "Jamie is going to have my head! I get back in the car, oh I forgot - I couldn't get the darn car to shut off so it has been running the whole time the other driver and I are talking.

I back out, drive around the corner to the drive up mail boxes and stretch as far as I can reach (remember the car is only 5" off the ground and how high is the mailbox opening?) trying to put in 17 envelopes (mailing out the bulletins like a good secretary does) and what happens - 4 envelopes slowly fall to the ground - SO I pull forward in the car and try to dislodge myself from the seatbelt and seat. As I turn to crawl out of the car, another car pulls up behind me and the gal jumps out and says "I will get them for you." I yell "thanks!" and put myself back in the car, hitting my head! I am beginning to hate that cute little car.

As I drive back to the C Shop I keep wondering what is Jamie going to say. How hard is it to drive a little sports car? I ponder how the conversation might go - nothing sounds too good. A little while later, Jamie pulls into the parking lot by the C Shop - thank goodness he pulled in on the driver's side. I have a few second reprieve. I walk out to him and begin telling the story and he immediately starts looking over his car. We get to the passenger back corner and he just gasps. I say nothing. Then the conversation goes like this:

A - blubbering, trying to speak as fast as I can, explaining everything that happened (see above) and Jamie just stands there with a smile that is getting bigger and bigger.

J - Mom, its okay, it can be fixed - she does have insurnace right?

A - Yes she has insurance, don't be upset with her, she couldn't see the little car behind her Ford Explorer. Her hubby is in Alaska, she lives here in Blaine, has a little guy, just be easy with her.

J - I will Mom, just give me the information. He chuckles as he puts his lunch stuff in the Del Sol. He walks around to the driver's door, gives me a hug & a kiss and says its going to be okay

A - I apologize again (2x) and Jamie pipes up with

J - Well I learned not to let a girl drive my muscle car (his 16 yr old girlfriend drove the car into a ditch 4 days after we bought the car for him when he was in high school) and now I have learned not to let a woman drive a sports car." all said with Jamie's crazy grin.

A - Have a good day at work and I hope you are really not too mad at me.

J - Mom, its okay. I will give Allison (the gal who hit me) a call on my break.

I watch as he backs up, rev's the engine a little bit and we wave at each other. I think, Lord, give him a good rest of the day. And I will never drive that cute little Honda Del Sol.

I walk back into the motor home feeling sick to my stomach, one more issue for Jamie to have to deal with. Get something to eat (food always helps - just a bowl of soup) and decided to write about my little adventure today.

Hope everyone has a good day. All I know is Jamie can borrow the suburban any time he wants BUT this mom is not driving that little cute black shiny Honda Del Sol.


3 comments:

  1. You never ever let a woman drive your car, period, end of sentence. I am glad that the young woman had insurance otherwise I would have to pay for it. As always Alice has a way to tell a story to make it sound humorous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your raised a good one there, smiling instead of killing you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda

    I was very worried about he was going to take it but Jamie is so like his dad - took it in stride when talking to me - wondering what he told the fellows at work or better his brother, Brandon.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my blog so comment away. Note I do have Comment Moderation on so that spam and inappropriate comments will not be allowed.

Blog Address Change!!!!

Well I took the plunge and moved my blog over to WordPress! Below is the link to my blog. All of the blog posts I have written sinc...